04 May 2011

Gutons!!!

So, after nearly 2 years of having the grinder in my possession but not daring to actually attempt to make Gutons, I finally did it...and I did an alright job for a first try (if I do say so myself...although I don't want to say so too loudly or else I'll have to share. :)

Gutons are a Pigeon favorite that my Grampie used to make. Since he passed away, there have been a few scattered attempts (that I know of anyway) but nobody has taken on the role of making large batches to share with the whole family the way he used to. Not that I'm volunteering myself for that role quite yet, but I do feel very strongly that the next generation of kids needs to continue the love of the Gutons. Rory was lucky enough to get his first taste on my first attempt. I think I did alright on the texture. It was pretty close to what I remember. The flavor is only a touch off, but I can't quite pinpoint what it is. I know there are lots of Pigeons out there reading this and thinking "Let me taste...I'll tell you what you're missing", and if you'd like to do that, you know where we live. It was a small batch, but there might be some left over by the time you got here. :)

So, here is a video taken this afternoon of Rory trying it for the first time. He's also obsessed with crackers these days so he's even more excited:



After testing out and loving his first guton cracker, he walked away with his second one while I was making one for myself. Cooper thought gutons smelled pretty good too and made a play for Rory's cracker. This next video is the tail end of Rory's reaction. We couldn't catch the first part because we were laughing so hard. He flipped out! He got so upset and was crying and yelling "No Cooper. No cracker!!" Believe me buddy, we all understand. Gutons do NOT go to the dog! The funniest part is that as hard as he was crying about it, the dog didn't actually even get it. He still had it in his hand the whole time. He is a true Pigeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment